On Sunday we took a trip up to Harrow on the Hill.
I can recommend the Dolls House Cafe, but beware the prices of food and drink there is quite expensive. They specialise in a shabby chique style of furniture. All of the chairs there are different it seems! The table cloths are the old fashioned canvas backed wipeable style.
The History of Harrow on the Hill in brief from Wikipedia is as follows
Harrow on the Hill is an affluent area of north west London, England, and part of the London Borough of Harrow. The name refers to Harrow Hill, 408 feet (124 m). The district includes the famous independent school, Harrow School.
The earliest recorded use of the name is found in 1398 as Harrowe atte Hille. Etymology before then derives from Harrow, which is first recorded in 767 as Gumeninga hergae. A suggested meaning is heathen temple of a tribe called the Gumeningas. The hill has historically been used as a place of pagan worship. It is alternatively explained to mean the church upon the hill.
Harrow on the Hill formed an ancient parish and later civil parish in the Gore hundred of Middlesex. In 1831 it had a population of 3,861 and occupied an area of 9,870 acres (39.9 km2). There were significant boundary changes in 1894, when the bulk of the parish was removed to create the parishes of Harrow Weald, Wealdstone and Wembley. By 1931 it occupied a reduced area of 2,129 acres (8.62 km2) and had a population of 26,380. It formed the Harrow on the Hill Urban District of Middlesex from 1894 and was abolished by a County Review Order in 1934, with the bulk of the area forming part of a new civil parish and urban district of Harrow. In 1954 the urban district was incorporated as the Municipal Borough of Harrow and in 1965 it was transferred to Greater London to form the London Borough of Harrow.
Mottoes Latin: Stet Fortuna Domus
(“Let the Fortune of the House Stand”)
Latin: Donorum Dei Dispensatio Fidelis
(“The Faithful Dispensation of the Gifts of God”)
Established 1572 (1243)
Type Independent school, Boarding school
Head Master Mr Jim Hawkins 
Chairman of the Governors Mr R C Compton
Founder John Lyon of Preston
Location Harrow on the Hill High Street
London Borough of Harrow
DfE URN 102245
Staff ~200 (full-time)
Students ~800 pupils
Colours Blue & White
Publication The Harrovian
Former pupils Old Harrovians
Badges Rampant Lion
Click the blue globe to open an interactive map.
Harrow School, commonly known simply as “‘Harrow”, is an English independent school for boys situated in the town of Harrow, in north-west London. There is some evidence that there has been a school on the site since 1243 but the Harrow School of today was officially founded by John Lyon under a Royal Charter of Elizabeth I in 1572. Harrow is one of the original nine public schools that were defined by the Public Schools Act 1868.
The school has an enrollment of approximately 830 boys spread across twelve boarding houses, all of whom board full-time. It remains one of the four all-boys, full-boarding schools in Britain, the others being Radley College, Eton College and Winchester College.
Harrow has many traditions and rich history, which includes the use of Straw Hats, morning suits, top hats and canes as uniform. Its long line of famous alumni include eight former Prime Ministers (including Churchill, Baldwin, Peel, and Palmerston), numerous foreign statesmen, former and current members of both houses of the UK Parliament, two Kings and several other members of various royal families, 20 Victoria Cross and one George Cross holders, and a great many notable figures in both the arts and the sciences. Good Schools Guide said the school “Does well, does the boys well, couldn’t do better.”
Finally if you fancy a trip to Harrow on the Hill, which is on the Metropolitan Line from Baker Street. Here is what you will see
Pictures and video Copyright the Wireless Waffler